Monday, August 31, 2009

The Yellow Card...

In Mallory's little "Welcome to Kindergarten" packet, there was a letter that explained what her teacher expected of them for the first few weeks, just basic rules. Also, instead of him writing a little something in each child's folder, he would send home little cards: Green = followed rules; Yellow = working on following rules; Red = not following rules.

On the first day, she came home with a yellow card. I thought, no big deal, it's a huge adjustment. The second day, she got a green card, YIPPEE!! My girl is going to be a STAR in kindergarten!! The third day, she comes off the bus and says that she doesn't want to go back to school anymore. All I could think of was that someone was mean to her. That wasn't the case at all. I looked in her folder and there was another yellow card, but this time her teacher had written something on the bottom...oh dear... "Not listening or following directions today." So after a lot of questions, Mallory told me what happened. Apparently they have to wait in line to be called out to the playground after lunch. If you know Mallory, she's not a big fan of waiting for anything. She decided to just go ahead and head out to the playground without being called. Mr. Popio told her to get back in line and she didn't. Off to time-out she went. If this is where it ended, I would have been okay with that, talked to her about being patient, and then move on with our evening. But that was only half of it. She then went on to tell me that she sat in circle time with her arms crossed and a mean look on her face. I asked her why. "I'm SO mad at Mr. Popio, he didn't even apologize for putting me in time-out!" OH DEAR!!!!! We had lots and lots of conversations about how to act in school and who was boss!! She even drew him a picture and said that she was sorry and she would listen better.

My stomach was in knots the whole next day just thinking of the trouble that she was getting in to or what she was saying to Mr. Popio!! I really wasn't even thinking of the next day, I was thinking about the next few months, all the conferences with the teachers, guidance counselors, principals, etc. BUT SHE CAME HOME WITH A GREEN CARD!!!!! (and did again today!) Now I am back to thinking that she is the star of kindergarten again!!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, No!!
That's terrible & hilarious all at the same time! Reminds me of those Kevin Henkes books...Lily's Purple Plastic Purse.

Bless your heart!!

kaydensgracedesigns said...

Oh! I can't wait to see your completed kitchen! LOL@ Mallory & her 1st few days at school. Doesn't Mr/ Popio know She is "Miss. Mallory" he needs to call her 1st for recess, then no prob at all, rofl! ;) LOVE all the new sets too! HUgs Tabitha

Related Posts with Thumbnails